Posted by Willow B. Murphy
It’s been quiet on the blog the last few weeks because I have been in Belize with my husband. I finally got over my fear of the ocean, specifically sharks, and got certified to scuba dive! It has been a life long goal of mine, because my dad is an avid diver and I really want to be able to go diving with him on our next family vacation.
While I was there, I put together a list of my top five must have products for beach or tropical vacations. Some of these products are part of my daily must haves no matter where I am, but others I keep on hand specifically for these kinds of trips. I try to travel somewhere warm at least once year, because San Francisco’s notorious lack of summer can drive a girl crazy.
1. The Prodigal Pen for Blemishes ($26.00) by SAMPAR is a daily must have for blemishes, bug bites, or welts. I pretty much use it on any kind of bump that shows up on my skin. It contains 8 essential oils including thyme, lavender, rosemary, sage, cloves, and cinnamon which make it both effective and great smelling. I always have one of these in my purse, carry-on luggage, and of course my vanity at home.
2. Organic Sun Defense Minerals ($58.00) by Eminence is another product I carry around in my purse. I am very fair skinned and I freckle easily, so it’s essential for me to carry sun protection with me to reapply on days I spend any time outside. This broad-spectrum mineral powder is great, because it has a built-in brush making it easy to use on the go. It is also water-resistant and features vitamins A and E as well as fruit extracts to keep skin hydrated and nourished.
3. I am an essential oils junkie and I never leave home without at least one bottle. One of the reasons I love 21 Drops oils is their easy to use portable rollerball packaging. Traveling with whatever essential oil blend you prefer is easy and you don’t have to worry about bottles leaking or breaking. My go to when I travel is 01 – Invigorate ($29.00), because traveling wears me out. I’m one of those lucky people that can’t sleep on planes without being heavily medicated. Since we took a red eye on our way to Belize this blend was a lifesaver. Also, check out their Travel Well Trio to strengthen your immune system, settle your stomach after eating unfamiliar food, and get a good night sleep no matter where you are.
4. Traveling with a lot of sunscreen is kinda my thing. Anyone who has traveled with me knows they don’t have to bring any, because I travel with at least 5 bottles. Going to the beach you can easily double that number. As I mentioned above, I am very fair skinned. I have always freckled easily, but in my late twenties I started getting hyperpigmentation or sunspots on my face. Now I don’t leave the house without some sort of sun protection on my face year around. My go to sunscreen for my face on this last vacation was Sun Damage Prevention Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 ($45.00) by NIA24. I will be doing another blog featuring several of the other brands and types I also use later this month.
5. I can’t ever go anywhere tropical without bug repellant. I did it once and learned my lesson when I came home covered in bites. Now I always pack Miracle Tropical Resilience Pump ($12.99) by Holocuren, because this natural lotion hydrates skin and helps protect it from bug bites. The lemongrass-scented formula contains a combination of Australian Melaleuca Tea Tree Oil and Brazilian Propolis for anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-viral protections.
These are just my top five products, but I travel with a ton more. My husband likes to make fun of me because of how much product I insist on transporting with me on our relaxing “laid-back” vacations. I just want to be prepared for everything. Are you a beauty hoarder or do you travel light? What’s your must have product when you travel?